Monday, May 5, 2008

Preferences and files that will never be ported

While working through the first set of Cello utility files I came across a couple of files - the first was DWNamedTreeStorage an XML reader and writer class. I fixed the compile errors (small string-type stuff) and moved on. It occurred that I could implement whatever there is in the file with some of the Core Foundation which has good support for reading and writing XML. However that is deviating from the game-plan. The game-plan is to get a subset (just reading files and generating the output file) as quickly as possible. Everything in Cello running on Windows works and it works well - there are many other wheels looking for reinvention.

Following this was a file called DWNamedTreeStorageRegistry. There was a fair amount in this file that would not compile and much of it was very OS specific - stepping back and looking where it was used - I found that it is used to save and load preferences from the registry. I have moved this file off the hit-list and will implement it's functionality after using CFPreferences when I come to the client code that uses it. It may well be that DWNamedTreeStorage is never used.

To keep a record of files that will never be ported - but whose functionality will have to be otherwise implemented I have added a text file called 'BadList' to each library.

No comments: