Thursday, May 15, 2008

File & Related Classes

All of the file & related classes in Cello now compile. So I have a folder full of files 'ticked off'. This part of the project took longer and was more painful than I had imagined - simply because structured storage was an unexpected wrinkle.

POLE, the structured storage library I have deployed will only read structured storage files and won't write them. Looking at the code there seems to have been a reasonable start in getting the writing part of POLE completed but it is not close to being finished. It is something that I am reluctant to undertake. POLE amongst other things was the only non-GPL C/C++ library that I found.

The initial part of the Cello port is to get enough together to open files generated on the PC version and for the code to run to generate the output. So to deal with the issue of writing I have
'stubbed-out' all of Cello that butts onto the structured storage writing and to defer the issue. Though it would be nice to be able to write file in the existing format it is not essential.

No comments: