Monday, November 23, 2009

TimeLine view - first brush strokes

I have started implementing the TimeLine view - and implementing it from the ground up. My approach is to start with the basic topology and then to add flesh to the bones. The PC view has row labels of user determined width. I can kick this off in a small sample project - I should be able to get the basic structure of what I need working outside of Cello. So I started by adding a new (temporary) target to XCode and sketched out a basic splitter with two views in interface builder.

The drawRect methods of the views just fill the two rectangles with grey.

As a next step I have broken the two views into several sub views. The row header, column header and content are all need to be within NSScrollViews. So I have added those.

On from this I have started sketching out the protocol for the DataSource modeling it roughly on the DataSource in the NSTableView. My idea is to start with a protocol that is close to how I am implementing the TimeLine - initially something very much like a table. My plan is then when the basic table functionality is working to shift directions and refine the protocol so it more closely resembles the data that is presented and required by Cello as it stands.

No comments: