Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Joy of GIT

Once you start getting accustomed to GIT it becomes quite addictive. I have started using GIT on another project. Despite using use only a fraction of it I have found it so fast and flexible that I have decided to move the Cello project over to GIT.

To install Git on your machine the easiest way to go is to use MacPorts. MacPorts is a cunning system that will install a package and all it's dependent packages, downloading, building and linking as necessary like magic. Once you have installed MacPorts installing a package like GIT is a breeze. Pop open the terminal and type

$sudo port install git-core

To import a CVS project into GIT you will need to install cvsps. Again this can be done with MacPorts

$sudo port install cvsps

And you are good to go, well to migrate your CVS repository to GIT. For me the following command imported the project in its entirety

$git cvsimport -v -C path_to_my_git_repositry my_module

No comments: